The Department of Geography and Social Studies, has undergraduate and postgraduate programmes that attract prospective students annually. The course overview, entry requirements, programme.
The academic programmes serviced by the department include
- Bachelor of Arts with Education – 3 years
- Bachelor of Education (Geography and SST) – 2 years
- Bachelor of Teacher education – 2 years.
The entry requirements to the programmes include
- The applicant must obtain a minimum of two principal passes in any two courses: Geography, of which Geography is Mandatory at (UACE) or Advanced Level. The learners must have at least a principal pass in Geography i.e. a minimum of D score. The student should have also passed geography at (UCE) or Ordinary level with at least a credit.
- Applicants’ with a diploma in science and art-based courses should have a credit in either Mathematics, Geography, Economics, Entrepreneurship or IT related course from a recognised institution shall be confident for admission. Admission shall also be based on the prescribed University entry requirements.
The masters programme offered by the department include
- Master of Arts in Geography – 2 years.
The programme admission requirements include;
- A Minimum of a degree from a recognized University or Institution shall be required. The degree classes accepted are First class, Second Class Upper- and Second-class Lower Division. Having relevant working experience will be added advantage due to immediate use of taught skills in their respective sectors.
- The required admissible courses are Bachelor of Arts or Sciences in Education (Geography), Geography and any of these related fields: Environment, Urban planning, Tourism, Agriculture, Climatic sciences, Geographical Information Systems, Water Resources, Forestry, Soil science, Population studies, Social Sciences, Land management, Economics, Botany, Zoology, Gender and information technology or any other related field from a recognized institution.
The following programs are being developed and will soon be available for implementation;
- PhD in Geography
- Master of Geographical Information Systems and Remote Sensing
- Bachelor of Spatial Planning and Geoinformatics